Thursday, May 30
Shadow

Teen in stable condition after being shot by another teen, says Asheboro Police

ASHEBORO — A shooting overnight left a 16-year-old in the hospital with a gunshot wound and police searching a second 16-year-old suspect.

Friday night around 9:30 p.m., officers with the Asheboro Police Department received a report of shots fired in the area of North Asheboro Park on Canoy Drive.

As officers were responding a police sergeant working off-duty at Randolph Hospital reported a 16-year-old male with a gunshot wound to the jaw/neck area had been brought to the Emergency Room by vehicle, according to an official with the Asheboro Police Department. 

Detectives with the Department’s Criminal Investigations Division responded to the scene. They identified another 16-year-old male as the suspect. Based upon evidence collected and information gathered a secure custody order was obtained for the juvenile. 

It is believed that the victim was not the intended target and as of the last report the victim is in stable but critical condition. Reports to the Randolph News Now news desk that Randolph Hospital’s Emergency Room was placed on lockdown as a result of the incident.

The Asheboro Police Department says attempts to locate the suspect have been unsuccessful and the suspect remains at large.  

No further information was available as of the time of publication. The identity of the victim and suspect have not been released due to N.C. privacy laws.