Saturday, June 22
Shadow

Victim in North Asheboro Park Shooting Dies, According to Police

ASHEBORO — The victim of a shooting earlier this month near North Asheboro Park has died, according to police.

In a press release earlier today, the Asheboro Police Department said that on May 15th, 2024, the victim,16-year-old Pedro Ortiz-Perez, has passed away.

Ortiz-Perez was injured in a shooting on May 3rd near North Asheboro Park and was brought to the Emergency Room at Randolph Hospital by vehicle with a gunshot wound to the jaw/neck. He was later transferred to UNC Hospital in Chapel Hill where he had remained in critical condition.

In a statement following the shooting, police said they did not believe Ortiz-Perez was the intended target.  

The suspect, a 16-year-old whose name cannot be released by police due to privacy laws, was arrested in Statesville, N.C. on May 10th and is facing charges of attempted murder, discharging a firearm into a vehicle, and assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill / inflicting serious injury.

The Asheboro Police Department says that “in light of this tragic development, upgraded charges will be presented to the Grand Jury for indictment.”

According to media reports, Ortiz-Perez was a sophomore at South West High School where he played soccer. Funeral arrangements for Ortiz are still being made.