ASHEBORO N.C. – A city crew installing new sidewalk on E Academy St in Asheboro struck a gas line this afternoon, prompting a response from emergency crews.
At around 2:30 PM on Wednesday, February 8th, 2023, firefighters with the Asheboro Fire Department were dispatched to 205 E Academy St for a report of a gas leak.
According to an official on the scene, as crews were working to install a new sidewalk, city employees were driving a wooden steak which caused a gas pipe to break.
The Asheboro Fire Department closed off E Academy St between S Cox St and S Main St, for around fifteen minutes. Piedmont Natural Gas arrived on scene within only a few minutes and were able to shut off the leak.
Emergency crews were able to re-open the road just before 3PM. No one was injured in the incident.