Tuesday, July 16

Julian Fire Chief Injured After Driver Crashes into Department Pickup on US 421

A Pickup Truck belonging to the Julian Fire & Rescue was totaled after a driver struck the vehicle while at the scene of an accident on 421 (via Facebook)

ASHEBORO N.C. – Julian Fire & Rescue’s Chief was taken to the hospital after a driver struck the department’s pickup truck that was on scene of a previous accident on US 421 last Friday.

At 9:41 am, on Friday, December 23rd, 2022, emergency crews responded to the report of a crash that occurred on US 421 near NC 62 in Guilford County.

According to the State Highway Patrol, James Patrick Clement, from Carthage, NC, was traveling north on US 421 in a 2009 Ford truck.

Chief Cameron Ross Shepard with Julian Fire & Rescue (which serves both Guilford and Randolph Counties) was parked in the inside travel lane of US 421, facing north, in a 2005 Chevrolet pick-up truck, owned by the department. The pick-up had its emergency lights activated and was attempting to block traffic on US 421 from a previous collision, when he was struck in the rear by Clement.

Clement was uninjured during the crash and was charged with failure to reduce speed.

Chief Shepard suffered non-life-threatening injuries including broken ribs and a concussion and was transported to Moses H. Cone Hospital in Greensboro.

The Highway Patrol says the weather did not play a role in the crash.

(via Facebook)

Responding to the accident in a post on Facebook the Department says that “accidents like this are becoming too familiar. Please, please, please move over for emergency responders and pay attention as you move through an accident scene.”

North Carolina is one of several states with a move over law which requires drivers approaching emergency vehicles with flashing lights to slow down, approach cautiously, and move over on a multi-lane highway or slow down on a two-lane highway.

On July 1st, 2006, fines were increased to $500 along with the possibility of being charged with a felony if a collision occurs that results in serious injury or death.

US 421 re-opened following the investigation by the Highway Patrol after two hours on scene. Troopers cleared the scene at 11:54 a.m.