ASHEBORO NC – A Florida man is in jail after kidnapping a woman at gunpoint and leading police in a high-speed chase vehicle chase Saturday afternoon.
According to a press release from the Asheboro Police Department on Saturday, April 3rd, 2021, at around 1:42 PM, a 31-year-old female was kidnapped at gunpoint while sitting in a vehicle on Coleridge Rd in Asheboro. The suspect who police identified as 32-year-old Manuel Jesus Robles from Ocala, Florida, allegedly “forced the woman into a vehicle owned by the victim, which had been stolen earlier” according to a statement issued by the department.
Detectives with the Asheboro Police Department responded and were able to quickly determine the suspect’s location. Deputies with the Randolph County Sheriff’s Office located the vehicle and attempted to conduct a traffic stop. Robles led deputies on a high-speed chase through Randolph County. Officers with the NC State Highway Patrol, High Point Police Department, Davidson County Sheriff’s Office, and Rowan County Sheriff’s Office were also involved in the chase.
During the pursuit, Robles fired multiple shots at pursuing officers, striking law enforcement vehicles, but did not strike or injure any officers.
The pursuit ended when Robles crashed the vehicle at I-85 and Webb Rd in Rowan County. He was able to flee on foot but was captured a short time later. The victim was rescued unharmed and evaluated by EMS at the scene.
Robles is expected to face multiple charges related to the kidnapping, pursuit, and shooting at law enforcement. At the time of this press release, he remains in custody and is expected to be transported to Randolph County to face charges
UPDATE: On April 5th the Asheboro Police Department and the Randolph County Sheriffs Office released a list of charges against Robles:
Asheboro Police Department charges for Manuel Jesus Robles:
- Felony First Degree Kidnapping
- (two counts) Misdemeanor Assault by Pointing a Gun
- Misdemeanor Communicating Threats
- Misdemeanor Injury to Personal Property
Randolph County Sheriff’s Office charges:
- Felony Attempted Murder
- Felony Possession Stolen Motor Vehicle
- (two counts) Felony Discharge Firearm Enclosure
- (four counts) Felony Assault with Deadly Weapon on Government Official
- Felony Discharge Weapon into Moving Vehicle
- Felony Flee to Elude Arrest With Motor Vehicle
- Misdemeanor Assault by Pointing a Gun
- Misdemeanor Resisting Public Officer
- (two counts) Misdemeanor Injury to Personal Property
- Misdemeanor Assault Law Enforcement Agent/Assistance/Search/Rescue Animal
- Reckless Driving to Endanger
- Left of Center Line/Grade/Curve
First Appearance /Court Date: 04/05/21