Thursday, May 30
Shadow

Tag: Fire

Unattended Camp Fire sparks Woods Fire in Birkhead Mountains Wilderness Area

Unattended Camp Fire sparks Woods Fire in Birkhead Mountains Wilderness Area

News
(Photo by Jared Byrd / Randolph County Emergency Services) ASHEBORO N.C. - Officials are saying an unattended campfire is to blame for starting a woods fire that consumed around 1.5 acres in the Birkhead Mountains Wilderness Area this afternoon. At around 2 pm, firefighters from Ulah Fire Department along with Rangers from the NC Forestry Service were dispatched to the Birkhead Mountains Wilderness Area for a report of a woods fire. According to a post on Facebook by the Ulah Fire Department the fire was located approximately 1.5 miles into the Birkhead Wilderness trails. Personnel had the fire contained within an hour of reaching its point of origin and were able to clear the scene at around 4:30 pm. No injuries were reported.
Already in Jail for Vehicle Theft, Man Charged With ‘Burning Public Building’ for DMV Fire

Already in Jail for Vehicle Theft, Man Charged With ‘Burning Public Building’ for DMV Fire

Crime
ASHEBORO N.C. - The Randolph County Sheriff's Office announced several charges against a local man related to an intentional fire set at a DMV office and deputies didn't have to go far to find him as he was already in jail accused of stealing a car. On November 24, 2022, at around 5 pm, the Randolph County Sheriff’s Office responded to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Office on US Hwy 220 Bus. S., Asheboro, after receiving a call about breaking & entering and larceny. When deputies arrived, they were met by a fire investigator from the Randolph County Fire Marshal’s Office and representatives of the DMV Office. According to a press release from the Sheriff’s Office, the fire investigator told deputies that an exterior metal storage building had been broken into and a fir...
Woman Arrested for Setting Leaves on Fire

Woman Arrested for Setting Leaves on Fire

News
Firefighters speak with a deputy after putting out the fire on Foster Street. [Scott Pelkey / Acme News] ASHEBORO N.C. - A woman was arrested this weekend during her second run-in with police after she set several piles of leaves on fire, endangering a house and local church, and then left the scene. On Nov 19th, 2022, Randolph County 911 dispatched fire crews and deputies from the Randolph County Sheriff's office to Foster St. after receiving a call about a female lighting leaves on fire in the side ditch near a residence. According to information from the Sheriff's Office, when deputies arrived a fire was burning up the bank of the ditch towards the residence and across the street in the ditch burning towards the Foster Wesleyan Church. The 911 caller reported that the female...
No One Injured In Asheboro House Fire on 4th of July

No One Injured In Asheboro House Fire on 4th of July

News
[Scott Pelkey | North State Journal] ASHEBORO N.C. - No one was injured in what officials are calling an accidental house fire last night in Asheboro. According to Samantha East, Public Information Officer with the Asheboro Fire Department at 10:42 pm, crews with the Asheboro Fire Department, along with Randolph County EMS were paged out to a structure fire at 1303 Uwharrie St. Officers with the Asheboro Police Department in the area reported heavy smoke billowing from windows of the home when they arrived. According to East the fire was quickly extinguished and crews were able to determine no one was home at the time of the fire, however a search of the home found the 2 family dogs had succumb to the smoke. The fire was determined to be accidental and originated in the kitc...
UPDATED | Asheboro Fire Responds To Commercial Fire on Albemarle Rd

UPDATED | Asheboro Fire Responds To Commercial Fire on Albemarle Rd

Breaking News
ASHEBORO N.C. - Just after 5:30pm the Asheboro Fire Department was dispatched to a smoke alarm at 857 Albemarle Rd, a vacant structure between the Quality Inn and Roadway Inn (former Motel 6). When firefighters arrived the reported a commercial structure with smoke showing from the structure. An intal search was conducted the building was reported clear. Within 30-45 mins crews were ventilating the building to remove the smoke. No injuries were reported and the cause is unknown at this time. UPDATE 7/5/22 4:30 PM - Today we learned more details about the commercial structure fire on Albermerle Rd on July 4th. According to Samantha East, Public information officer with the Asheboro Fire Department, at at 5:40 pm crews were dispatched to 827 Albermerle Rd for a fire ...
No Injuries After Fire At Asheboro Furniture Plant

No Injuries After Fire At Asheboro Furniture Plant

News
Firefighters with the Asheboro Fire Department on the scene of a fire at a local Furniture plant on May 26th 2022.. (Scott Pelkey / Acme News) ASHEBORO N.C. - Early this afternoon firefighters with the Asheboro Fire Department responded to a report of a pile of sawdust on fire at a local Furniture plant. According to Samantha East, Public Information Officer with the Asheboro Fire Department, at 11:46 am, crews were dispatched to a commercial fire at Jackson Furniture, located at 136 E Dorsett Ave. Crews arrived on scene to find sawdust on fire and were able to quickly extinguish the fire. No injuries were reported and firefighters cleared the scene at 12:55 pm. The cause of the fire is unknown at this time.
Cargo Container Catches Fire At Asheboro Recycling

Cargo Container Catches Fire At Asheboro Recycling

News
Drone photo of firefighters on scene at Asheboro Recycling Center (Scott P / Acme News) ASHEBORO N.C. - No injuries were reported after a cargo container at Asheboro Recycling caught fire last Friday. On April 22nd 2022, just after before 4 pm, fire crews from Asheboro, Ulah, and Eastside Fire Department's were dispatched to the Asheboro Recycling Center on Southmont Dr, in Asheboro for a report of a fire. When firefighters arrived they found a cargo container at the corner of the property ablaze. Smoke from the fire could be seen east of Asheboro. According to Samantha East, Public Information Officer with the Asheboro Fire Department crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire. No injuries were reported and the cause of fire is undetermined.
Fire Investigators Taking A Look at Fire That Destroyed 15 Cars and Several Buildings on Idlewild Dr Ext

Fire Investigators Taking A Look at Fire That Destroyed 15 Cars and Several Buildings on Idlewild Dr Ext

News
ASHEBORO N.C. - Fire investigators are taking a look at yesterday's fire on Idelwild Dr Ext in Randleman that destroyed several buildings and over a dozen cars. On March 14th 2022, just after 6:30 pm, fire crews were dispatched to Idlewild Dr Ext for a reported fire at a junk-yard. Fire Marshal Michael Smith with the Randleman Fire Department says around 15 vehicles, two small outbuildings, one large garage, and a mobile home were all involved. Crews from Randleman, Asheboro, Sophia, Westside, and Climax Fire Departments all responded and were able to get the fire under control in around an hour and a half, but remained on scene for overhaul and clean-up for over 5 hours. Firefighters with the Randleman Fire Department returned to the scene this morning to put out hotspots. ...
Suspicious Smell Prompts Evacuation At  Archdale Elementary

Suspicious Smell Prompts Evacuation At Archdale Elementary

News
ungvar / Adobe Stock ASHEBORO N.C. - This morning students at Archdale Elementary had to be evacuated and the fire department called after someone noticed the smell of smoke in a classroom. From emergency radio traffic we know that fire crews from multiple Randolph and Guilford county fire departments responded to a report of the smell of smoke in a classroom. Randolph County Schools Public Information Officer Tim Moody in an email to Randolph News Now said that just after 7:30 a.m. Archdale Elementary School was evacuated as a result of a "suspicious smell" from an undetermined source in one of the buildings on the school’s campus. "The school's administration and maintenance team worked closely with the fire department to immediately address the situation" said Moody who ...
As Pilot Mountain Burns Red Flag Warning Issued Across NC

As Pilot Mountain Burns Red Flag Warning Issued Across NC

News
ASHEBORO N.C. - This morning the N.C. Forest Service is warning of increased fire danger for most North Carolina and asking for public to postpone any outdoor burning, especially across the Mountains, Piedmont and Sandhills. The warning comes as the agency is responding to Surry County as over 250 acres have burned at Pilot Mountain. The Winston Salem Journal is reporting that the fire that started off a popular trail on Saturday afternoon, By Sunday the fire had spread to cover 250 acres. Visitors and campers have been forced to evacuate and Pilot Mountain State Park has been closed to the public. Local explorer/photojournalist/videographer/professional storm chaser Dan Whittaker captured the flames as the fire spread Sunday reaching the knob. (Dan Whittaker / exploringnc (Instagr...